Charlton Loop - Medium
This route takes you out of Brackley along the Halse Road and has a couple of smaller hills to help get you warmed up before the larger hill at Halse.
The route on the map starts and finishes at Brackley Leisure Centre, but you can start wherever you want to meet up in Brackley with your friends.
- Start by going up Pavillions Way to Halse Road, before turning left at the mini roundabout towards Halse
- Proceed along Halse Road, through Halse up quite a steep hill and then down the hill the other side.
- Continue on the road until you reach the T junction, turning left to head towards Farthinghoe. There is another fairly steep hill here before levelling out as you approach Farthinghoe
- Eventually you will come to the main road. Here you want to take a left, immediatley followed by a right. There is a crossing if you wish to use this and avoid the traffic as the road can be busy.
- Continue straight, giving way at the cross roads, before continuing straight again, heading to Charlton. This piece of road is quite flat, allowing you to get some speed up here.
- Carry on through Charlton and out the other side, where there is a short downhill followed by an uphill section
- The main road bears round to the right, but look out for a single track road signposted for Croughton and take the single track road
- At the end of the single track road, turn left and head up into Croughton, being careful through the chicanes
- Before you get to the mini roundabout, take the left turn signposted to Hinton-in-the-Hedges and proceed down another single track road with passing places
- A couple of miles down the road, there is a cross roads. Take the left hand turn, taking you to another cross roads, where you continue straight, heading towards Hinton-in-the-Hedges
- Continue heading into Hinton in the Hedges, following the road down the hill, then back up the hill ensuring you don’t take the left hand fork.
- Come out of Hinton and there is a slight down hill, followed by a steep uphill. After this there is a long downhill section until you reach the Brackley bypass.
- Turn left onto the bypass and follow until the roundabout. Turn right at the roundabout and back into Brackley.
- At the next roundabout, take another left and you will be back on Pavillions Way.
- Continue along Pavillions Way, taking care through the chicane, until you reach the leisure centre and complete your ride.
Places To Stop
- Limes Farm in Farthinghoe has a good selection of cakes and drinks as well as larger meals
- Charlton has a village pub called the Rose and Crown where you could also stop for refreshments
- On the main road in Croughton there is a tea rooms you can stop at, serving breakfasts and lunches. There is some outside seating here
Routes and distances are for guidance only. Please follow the rules of the road.