Tusmore and Cottisford
A ride that takes you south of Brackley, past Croughton and to Tusmore and Cottisford, before looping back through some small country roads via Westbury.
- Start by going up Pavillions Way to Halse Road, before turning left at the mini roundabout towards Halse
- Proceed along Halse Road, through Halse up quite a steep hill and then down the hill the other side.
- Continue on the road until you reach the T junction, turning left to head towards Farthinghoe. There is another fairly steep hill here before levelling out as you approach Farthinghoe
- Eventually you will come to the main road. Here you want to take a left, immediatley followed by a right. There is a crossing if you wish to use this and avoid the traffic as the road can be busy.
- Continue straight, giving way at the cross roads, before continuing straight again, heading to Charlton. This piece of road is quite flat, allowing you to get some speed up here.
- Carry on through Charlton and out the other side, where there is a short downhill followed by an uphill section
- The main road bears round to the right, but look out for a single track road signposted for Croughton and take the single track road
- At the end of the single track road, turn left and head up into Croughton, being careful through the chicanes
- Turn right at the mini roundabout, heading past RAF Croughton and continue until just past Pimlico Farm, where you need to turn left to take the flyover over the A43, heading towards Tusmore Estate
- Once over the flyover, turn left and follow until the end, turning right at the end, away from the A43
- Continue on the road through Cottisford, then continue straight at the crossroads
- At the T junction turn left, heading towards the A421
- At the A421 continue straight across, taking care as this is a busy main road, and on into a road with fields on both sides
- Eventually you will get to a fork, where you need to turn left and head towards and into Westbury
- Continue into Westbury until you reach the junction with the A422. Here you need to turn left.
- Continue along the road, turning right into Turweston before you reach Brackley
- Continue into and through Turweston, past The Stratton Arms and back up the hill and into Brackley
- Turn left at the roundabout and then immediate right onto Radstone Road, before turning immediate left onto Ellesmere Road
- Ride until the end, turning right onto Bridgewater Road
- Turn right onto Halse Road, before turning left onto Pavillons Way and back down the hill to the Leisure Centre
Places To Stop
- Limes Farm in Farthinghoe has a good selection of cakes and drinks as well as larger meals
- Charlton has a village pub called the Rose and Crown where you could also stop for refreshments
- On the main road in Croughton there is a tea rooms you can stop at, serving breakfasts and lunches. There is some outside seating here
- The Stratton Arms in Turweston has a large garden area with some outdoor seating
Routes and distances are for guidance only. Please follow the rules of the road.