Twyford and back via Aynho
A ride that takes you out of Brackley via Hinton-in-the-Hedges to Twyford, through Charlton and Kings Sutton and back via Aynho.
This ride has a few steep sections along the way so is good for riders looking for a bit of hill training or a slightly more intensive ride.
- Starting at the Leisure Centre, take a right down Pavillons Way to Banbury Road, turning right at the small roundabout to head out of town
- At the roundabout with the A422, turn left to head towards the Tesco Roundabout
- Take the right hand turn to head up the hill to Hinton-in-the-Hedges and carry on through Hinton down past The Crewe Arms
- Continue up the hill out of Hinton and turn right at the cross roads and head towards Charlton
- Once in Charlton, turn left at the t junction and then continue for a short distance before turning right and right again at the fork to head towards Kings Sutton
- There is an uphill section before a nice downhill section with some great views of the countryside here
- Once in Kings Sutton, continue straight towards the Church, before turning right at the end. Bear right past the Post Office and then turn left onto Banbury Lane
- Banbury Lane takes you down hill before crossing over the river Cherwell and the canal, but then rises up hill again over the motorway. This is quite a long steep section of hill here
- Continue along the road and up into Twyford, before turning right at the end onto the A4260 for a short stretch
- Turn left at the traffic lights onto the B4100 towards Aynho. This section passes over the motorway again and then climbs up the hill into Aynho
- Continue along the main road into Aynho and through the other side. The main road will bear to the right, but you need to continue straight, heading towards Croughton
- Continue downhill and then back up the hill into Croughton
- Before you get to the mini roundabout, take the left turn signposted to Hinton-in-the-Hedges and proceed down another single track road with passing places
- A couple of miles down the road, there is a cross roads. Take the left hand turn, taking you to another cross roads, where you continue straight, heading towards Hinton-in-the-Hedges
- Continue heading into Hinton in the Hedges, following the road down the hill, then back up the hill ensuring you don’t take the left hand fork.
- Come out of Hinton and there is a slight down hill, followed by a steep uphill. After this there is a long downhill section until you reach the Brackley bypass
- Cross over the bypass, turning right, before taking the small cut through on the left which comes out behind St James Lake
- Continue along the road past the lake, turning left at the end and up Bridge Street.
- Turn right at the top of the hill, past the town hall and up the High Street
- Continue along the High Street, past the Bell and Greyhound pubs, and turn left onto Burwell Hill, then left again onto Bridgewater Road
- At the end of Bridgewater Road, turn right onto Halse Road, before turning left onto Pavillons Way and back to the Leisure Centre
Places To Stop
- The Crewe Arms at Hinton-in-the-Hedges (on the way back, that is)
- The ride takes you through the High Street in Brackley so there are a few places to stop in the Market Place to get some refreshments
Routes and distances are for guidance only. Please follow the rules of the road.